Change Your Username/Password
Pay Dues Online
Board-members only (password protected)
Wisconsin Academy of Ophthalmology
Promote Your Page Too
The Wisconsin Academy of Ophthalmology is governed by representatives from every part of the state. Click here to view a list of our current Board of Directors.
The mission of the Wisconsin Academy of Ophthalmology is to promote quality eye care for the citizens of Wisconsin by providing its members with resources including professional education, legislative advocacy, and membership services to enhance the practice of ophthalmology in Wisconsin.
Adopted by the Board of Directors 11/30/2010
WAO Administrative Office
10 W. Phillip Road
Vernon Hills, IL 60061
ph. (800) 838-3627
fx. (847) 680-1682
Other Quick Links
Welcome to the
Wisconsin Academy of Ophthalmology!
The EyeMDs of Wisconsin
WAO is about to launch a new website!
Thanks for your patience.
- The 2014 Wisconsin EyeMD Symsposium is scheduledfor Saturday, February 8th at the Marriott Milwaukee West in Pewaukee. The focus will be on practice management and preparing for ICD-10
- Exhibitors - CLICK HERE to view last year's prospectus
- Physicians - Info coming soon!
- Ophthalmic Techs - Info coming soon!
- Coding Staff! WAO's 2014 Medicare coding seminars featuring Joy Newby will take place place in April. Details to come soon!
- The Medical College of Wisconsin - The Eye Institute has scheduled its next Grand Rounds for August 7 from 7 - 8:30 a.m. The topic is "Emerging Therapies for Inherited Retinal Dystrophies." CLICK HERE for more information.
- Wisconsin Medicare has a new carrier. Check back soon for updates from our consultant, Joy Newby.
- WAO partnered with the Global Community Service Foundation and Lions International on two cataract missions to Myanmar (Burma). The first mission was in January 2013, and the second concluded in October 2013.
- New! Newswatch 12, WJFT-TV in Wausau aired a report about the October mission to Dawei, Myanmar. We are proud that Dr. Vernon Parmley, Dr. Kevin Weinkers and surgical technician Jeanne Gray made the trip and performed nearly 100 cataracts in 5 days.
- CLICK HERE to view details for the project and to follow our progress and results.
- Follow WAO's volunteers during their trip on Facebook... http://tinyurl.com/WAO-Facebook
- View photos from the mission trip posted by some of the participants.
CLICK HERE to link to our "DropBox" folder of photos.
- Read the complete final report of the 2013 mission trip prepared by Lion Dennis Brining. This is a large PDF file.
- WAO's Coding Information page for doctors & billing staff
- Eye Wiki -- an eye encyclopedia written by eye physicians & surgeons
- Current Legislative Projects (members-only)
- AAO, ASCRS Update Advisory Following Flomax and Post-Cataract Surgery Complications
- Practice Management Resources
- Political polls, news and more - Real Clear Politics
- Read an article by Dr. Tim Daley, a University of Wisconsin resident and one of the participants in the 2010 AAO MidYear Forum and Advocacy Day as a "Resident Ambassador." Also participating in the program this year was Gaurav Singh, MD, a resident at the Medical College of Wisconsin.
December 2012 -- Wisconsin Passes on Health Insurance Exchange. Madison (11/16/12) - Today, Governor Scott Walker sent a letter to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius notifying the federal government of Wisconsin's decision on the implementation of health insurance exchanges. View Governor Walker's letter here.
July 6, 2012 -- We are saddened to note the passing of longtime WAO member John W. Doty, MD, on May 11, 2012 after a long illness. Dr. Doty practiced in Ashland (far northern Wisconsin). He graduated from the University of Wisconsin Medical School, and also completed his residency at UW-Madison. Read more...
What is the WAO?
The Wisconsin Academy of Ophthalmology (WAO) is a statewide professional society representing more than 350 ophthalmologists practicing in every part of the state. The primary purpose of the WAO is to maintain the high quality of medical eye care in Wisconsin by serving the needs of Wisconsin EyeMDs through professional education, practice management and advocacy efforts.